Making bento lunch boxes has become SO much easier with colorful silicon cups!
I bought a set from the Harumi Kurihara shop and it has honestly made everything so much easier and more colorful.
5 Key points about how silicon cups can help you:
- Portion control – it has helped me immensely to control the portions of food I am giving to my kids. I am so busy when I am trying to prepare meals for the kids, that without silicon cups I used to put too much food on the plate and then my kids couldn’t eat it all! Silicon cups help me put JUST the right amount of food on the plate or in the lunchbox.
- Save money – because of the above benefit of portion control, I have realized that the fruits and vegetables last longer in my fridge. Previously I used to cut up the whole apple or watermelon so everything would finish very quickly, leaving my fridge empty, and then I would have to do more grocery shopping. But now the fruits and vegetables last the whole week, and it’s only by about Friday that I need to buy some more bananas at the corner store. It may seem so simple, but it has honestly surprised me! I didn’t realize I was going through so much food so quickly when it didn’t have to be that way.
- Nutrition – the Harumi Kurihara silicon cups come in 4 colors: 2 big cups (green and yellow) and 2 small ones (blue and white). I always use all 4 cups, so it forces me (in a nice way!) to give the kids at least 4 different types of fruits and vegetables in 4 different colors. Because you aim for color contrast with the cups, it also stimulates you to be creative. In Japan it is a well known rule among households to serve food in the 4 main colors – red, yellow, green, and beige/tan. I often serve everything and realize I am missing green, so I quickly chop up some cucumbers or green grapes to balance it out!
- Lower stress levels – the silicon cups have helped to reduce my stress levels when preparing food. I used to mix up vegetables in a stirfry or make a fruit salad, which was hard to do every day when I am working full time and became VERY stressful to even think about it every day. Now that I use the silicon cups, it sets a limit for me so that I know if I can fill up the 4 cups with 4 different healthy foods, that it will satisfy my kids needs and their nutrition requirements. AND it feels like something I can accomplish (combined with Japanese-style of food preparation which I will explain in a future post).
- Cuteness! – the silicon cups make everything so colorful and cute, you can’t help feeling happy with your creations. Especially when you are so busy trying to get everything ready in the morning, it honestly can make the day start so much nicer and more satisfied with your creations!