This recipe is fantastic – it’s pink, sweet (so kids LOVE it of course), and easy to make!
With this beautiful sushi, you can definitely wow not only your kids, but also your guests at a dinner party!
What you need:
- Nori seaweed
- Rice (1.5 cups for 1 sushi nori roll) – cooked
- Sushi vinegar – 4 tbsp vinegar, 3 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt
- “Sakura denpun” (the pink sugary fishy filling)
- Spinach (follow this video to cook)
- Bamboo sushi roller
How to make:
- Cook rice, and transfer into a mixing bowl
- Add sushi vinegar while the rice is still warm (you don’t need to wait for it to cool).
- Take about 6 tbsp of the rice and place in separate bowl. Add 2 tbsp of the Sakura Denpun and mix into the rice. This is your pink rice!
- Cut one nori seaweed into 3 strips. Fill each strip with the pink rice and roll (see video).
- Spread white rice onto one sheet of nori seaweed. At the end closest to you, place the 3 pink rolls and a few strands of the cooked spinach together to make a pyramid.
- Using your bamboo roller, roll the sheet of nori and white rice around the pyramid, making sure it is firmly wrapped around. Place some water on the end of the nori to help it stick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the nori roll (rinse the knife in water so it is easier to cut, and wipe the knife on a towel between each cut, to ensure the nori roll is sliced cleanly and evenly).
- Serve on a beautiful plate or bento box!
When I made this sushi, my husband and kids were not only excited but they also devoured it very quickly and then asked for more! Definitely a popular dish in our family, and makes me happy as it is so easy to make.
Remember, to make beautiful and fun sushi, you don’t need lots of ingredients. This sushi only has 3 colors – white, pink and green. Awesome!