Do you want to make Japanese “Omu-rice”, but find it daunting to try and make it with the omelette wrapped around the rice filling?
Then try this recipe as an alternative!
It is SUPER cute and saves you from having to make the perfect omelette!
- This recipe is for 2 toddlers. If I am making it for 2 kids and 2 adults, I use 3 x recipe.
What you need:
- 2 small microwave-safe jars
- 2 eggs
- 160g rice
- 40g chicken breast
- 1/4 onion
- 2-3cm carrot
- Pizza cheese
- Sauce#1: 1tbsp sake, 1 pinch sugar, salt and pepper
- Sauce#2: 1/2 tsp consome soup (vegetable stock powder), 1tbsp ketchup
- Dry parsley
How to make:
- Cut chicken into 1cm cubes. Finely chop onion and carrot.
- Saute onion in a pan with small amount of oil, then add the chicken and carrot.
- Mix in sauce#1. Cook for 2min.
- Mix in sauce#2. Cook for 2min.
- Fold rice into the mixture and cook for 1min.
- Place the mixture into jar, top with cheese and raw egg, cook in microwave oven for 2min until the egg is cooked. BE CAREFUL! The jar can get very hot, so it is best to let it cool for 15min until serving to your kids. You can sprinkle some dry parsley on top to add some color, but not all kids like it! My son always wants to scrape it off:)
Hope you enjoy this fun recipe! It is a perfect size for toddlers, and for adults I make the same recipe and serve in a larger bowl with poached egg.